Saturday, December 6, 2014

Losing Weight..

So new years is coming up, and I am guessing that several of my friends are planning on making their new years resolution to "lose weight". It's probably the most common resolution. Especially after the holidays with the cookies, candies, cakes and pies. Big Christmas dinners and breakfast's. Oh and the stress. We tend to pack on the pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Actually I heard that on average people tend to gain between 8 and 10 lbs during the Christmas season! That is crazy! That is a lot. And that can take a lot of work to get it off. People probably gain more weight in the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas, than they do all year. So I thought I would write a little blog about weight loss, and maybe be able to help someone on their journey.

So at the start of the year.. you look at yourself and think "I need to make a change". But this isn't always easy. It's actually hard. Losing weight is hard. Real hard. But it's doable. And you don't have to take the easy way out, and get weight loss surgery, like I did. You can do it on your own. Now I am not dogging WLS. I'm totally for it, and I would do it again in a heart beat.. if I had to. Hopefully, I never will have to. But I've lost around 250 lbs. So I was big. I was REALLY big. My situation was much different than most people. A life or death kind of situation. My heart couldn't take much more. Nor could my lungs, or kidneys .I was waiting for my entire body to turn on me. And just let me say. It wasn't easy. It was hard. Very hard. Maybe I shouldn't say it's the easy way out,  it's just that society seems to view it as the easy way out. So I called it that too. Really it's not. But it's not as hard as losing it on your own.

So here is my advice on what could possibly make it easier for you. You start by stop calling it a diet, and start calling it life change. Because that's what it is. A life change. To lose weight, and keep it off it's going to take changes that become habits. That become a part of your life.  Losing is hard. Maintain is harder. You will not maintain on a "diet" You will lose, get to an idea weight, stop the diet, and then gain it all back, and then some. If it becomes a life change, a habit. You will keep it off.

Find out your weight, and BMI. There are websites that can do this for you.. go here.. CDC BMI Calculator. Well you can find out your BMI. It takes a scale to find out your weight silly. If you do not have one at home. Call your family doctor. Chances are they will weigh you for free. Or you could go to GNC they should have a scale. It may cost 50 cents. Whatever you do, do NOT trust those seat scales at Kroger, or Walmart. They will give you a weight that is usually less than you really are. Believe me I know. Also, when you weigh yourself. If you are weighing at home weigh first thing in the morning, after you've gone to the bathroom. Find a place with no carpet (if you have a spot), that is flat. And if you can. Weigh naked. If you can't weigh naked, or first thing in the morning (if you have to go to your doctor, or GNC etc) you can subtract a few pounds for clothing, shoes, and or water weight.

After you know your weight.. go here My Fitness Pal and make an account if you do not already have one. They have an app for this too. So if you're using a phone. You have no excuse. Once you have your account plug in the information (and be honest, because this ain't going to work if you lie.. this isn't your drivers licenses you do NOT have to lie about your weight). Also be honest about your activity. This will give you some numbers. These numbers are the amount of calories you should eat to help you lose weight. This is a life safer! Really it is. If used correctly. It works. Here you can input the food you ate, and the activities you have done. They will calculate it all for you! Try to stay under the calorie intake they give you!

Make your calories worth your while. Empty calories are a waste of food. Sadly, those empty calories usually taste better, and costs less then the good calories. It's hard. Trust me, I know. But sadly, if you want to lose weight. You may have to pick chicken and broccoli over a slice of pizza. And you may have to pick water over a coke. Not easy at all. Because good tasting food = gaining weight. Try to eat lean meats (if you eat meat. if you do not I'm sorry I cannot help you with your protein intake), veggies, and fruit. Skip the pizza, cookies, and chips.  Learn the difference between good and bad carbs. And how to eat them.

Watch what you drink. You will be surprised how many calories you consume while you drink!  If you are a pop drinker, you'll probably lose several pounds in a year by just cutting it out of your diet. Getting rid of it. And I do not mean replacing it with diet pop. While diet pop has no sugar, or calories, and seems to the best option. It cause you to crave sugary foods. Which is probably why you see people walking around with diet Mountain Dews, and eating candy bars, or chips. I hear so many people laughing at people who do this. I use to do this. But really.. they do it because they crave it. And sorry coffee lovers.. but those fancy Star Bucks coffee's and/or Tim Hortons even McDonalds and other restaurant coffees will go straight to your hips, butt, and thighs. They sometimes pack more of a calorie punch than pop. Limit those. You might have to replace it with plain ol' coffee. Another place people drink their calories. Juice. Yeah it's not that good for you. It's usually packed full of carbs, not good carbs either.  Also, alcohol cut it out. Sorry to tell you this. But water is your best choice. Just drink water..lol. Yuck I know.

Make a budget for your food, and a list. I know eating healthy is hard. They often make it so you can't afford the healthier food. Meat is crazy! But it's doable. I have a really hard time accepting that people are just too poor to eat healthy (I know I will get back lash for this one) as being a reason to eat food that's less good for you. I still say it's a choice you make. I know what it's like to eat on a budget. So let me give you some tips, without sounding judgmental. Or at least I'm not trying to. You do NOT have to eat fresh fruit and veggies to eat healthy. It's idea.. true. But not everyone can afford that. Instead, eat canned veggies, and fruit. It is doable, you just have to budget. And let me ad, you can probably buy several cans of veggies, for the price of chips, or a case of water for less than a case of pop. It's your choice.

Get moving!!  Walk, run, jog, hula hoop, swing, dance, swim,  skip to the Lou. Do something to get your heart pumping. It is recommend that you get at least 30 mins of activity a day! You may have to think outside the box here. Because I know I have a lot of mom's. Both married, and single, who have full time jobs (outside, and inside the homes). I can't imagine exercising is the first priority of the day. Probably coffee, and nice quiet pee by yourself is. And at the end of the day, when you put your kiddos to sleep.. you kind of want to do that too.. The good thing is.. sex is exercise too! So at least make your man happy!! Just remember that's how those kids came along..haha ok really! Moving is important. Try to find some time to get a work out in. You do not have to go the gym (which the YMCA offers discounts on membership for those who need help). Youtube has several awesome videos you can follow (these work great during the winter..or rainy days). No gym required. Just room to do them! You can walk around the neighborhood, or challenge your kids to races from fence to fence!! Hey whatever gets you moving.

Watch your goals! Now everyone probably has a goal. A goal weight. That is fine. But don't set yourself up for failure, before you even start. Make a large goal. If it's 20, 30, 40, 50, or 100 lbs. But then make tiny goals. I do 10 lbs goals. I have a big goal. But it's not my focus. That 10 lbs goal is.  This will also make you goal seem more doable.

Have other goals, than just weight. Buy a pair of jeans, or a dress smaller in size, and make it a goal to get into those jeans, or dress.

Find a good support system. People whose going to encourage you! Cheer you one! Help you stick to your plan (even if it means getting mean with you).  Get rid of those who do not support you. Those who try to make you go astray. If you can. I mean don't divorce your husband or wife, or disown your siblings or parents. This is strictly for friends.

Do not be so hard on yourself. You're not perfect. You're going to make  mistakes. You're going to fall off the wagon. You're going to miss work outs, and eat bad sometimes. I actually encourage you to something bad sometimes. Keeps you real. Just make sure you don't stay there.

Most of all.. I feel like I may be boring you, so I better wrap it up. Most of all.. figure out why you want to lose weight! Who are you losing weight for. People lose weight for all different reasons. What is yours? This is a personal journey, one only you can succeed at. No one else can do it for you (just like no one else caused you to be in the place where you have to lose weight). So find out for yourself why you want to do this. Weight loss isn't a magic pill. It's not going to take away your insecurities, it's not going to fix a relationship, and if you think it will.. you're going to be so upset when you find out..it doesn't. Those insecurities will still be there. Your relationship still in havoc. So figure out why, and make sure it's for the right reasons! 

I hope this helps at least someone. i hope I am not judgmental.

No comments:

Post a Comment