Monday, August 18, 2014

Caramel Stuffed Pumpkin Cookies

So I'm not sure about anyone else..but this girl is ready for fall! I'm ready for the cool crisp air, I'm ready for fires, and that awesome fall smell! The leafs changing colors, and falling ever so softly to the ground! And along with all these awesome fall favorites..I'm ready for pumpkins! Pumpkin pies, pumpkin rolls, pumpkin cupcakes and cookies! OK to make them. I hardly eat them (even though I do have to taste them lol..my excuse :) ) . So this weekend, I didn't want to wait. I wanted a little piece of fall early! So I made Stuffed pumpkin cookies! Three of my favorite flavors and putting them together. Pumpkin, cinnamon, and caramel! These cookies turned out beautiful!







OK not the best picture!! I need to work on my food photography..clearly. Too bad it's not a bird! These would be a perfect fall treat! The next time I make them I will do things a little bit different. I'll use more pumpkin, and cinnamon than what the recipes calls for. It's sort of like a lightly pumpkin flavored snickerdoodle. So here is the recipe..

Caramel Stuffed Pumpkin Cookies
 

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 + 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1/3 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (14 ounce) bag Rolos (for soft middles) or Kraft Caramels (for hard, chewy middles) (unwrap about 30 of them)



OK now get out two large cookie sheets, and cover them with parchment paper, or silpats, if you are lucky to have them. I do not have them. But I want some so bad! Now if you are using parchment paper I highly recommend spraying it down with non stick cooking spray, or some kind of oil. 
 
In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, and 1 cup of sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes. If you do not have unsalted butter, do not worry. Just use salted butter and omit the salt. If you do not leave the salt out your cookies will taste salty. And no one wants that! Now the next time I make these, I'm actually going to use 1 and 1/4 cups of sugar. Because I'm a rebel like that! Now add the vanilla, and pumpkin and mix for another 2 minutes.
 
Now in a small bowl whisk together the flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves, ginger, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to the sugar mixture and beat on low just until combined. Now of course I would use 2 and half tablespoons of cinnamon.  Pop the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Now clean the kitchen, read a book, or get on Facebook. I do not recommend waiting by the fridge for 30 mins..that would get boring! 
 
Now the fun begins.. the messy fun! lol. When the 30 mins is up get out the dough and start making rounded tablespoon balls, placing the caramel or rolo's or you can do a mix of both in the middle of the cooking, and rolling it up inside it. I used both, and when I do it again I'm going to use caramels only. Rolos are really messy and gooey. Now take that extra sugar, and cinnamon and mix them together in a bow, and roll those babies in a bath of cinnamon goodness!  Now place them on the parchment paper. Now if you use parchment paper they will stick so oil oil oil lol!  I did not use two cookie sheets I only needed one. Whatever you do..do NOT let them touch. Because they will stick together! Now pop them back in the fridge for at least 2 hours. I did mind over night. 
 
When two or so hours are up.. preheat the oven to 350. Prepare yourself some more cookie pans (I highly recommend oiled parchment paper and oil oil oil). Put some cookies on the sheet and bake for 14 mins. Then put the remaining uncooked cookies back in the fridge until you're ready for them. Make sure to do that! It's most important. OK no it's not. lol.. When they are done they will be hot. Shocker I know. So be careful. Touch them will burn you, eating them will burn you. So I highly recommend letting them cool completely before doing anything with them. Whatever you do DO NOT place them on a cooling rack. Or you'll have baby caramel kisses under the cookies, and no caramel's in the middle :) I learned the hard way!! 


Enjoy!

ps. I so didn't spell check or anything.. this thing is probably full of mistake!














No comments:

Post a Comment